Thursday 21 March 2013

Lots and lots and lots of snow

Winter is truly back here in Cham, and after the foehn wind looked to have ended any hopes of lift served powder for a while, a cold front blew in and dumped a metre of fresh stuff. Merci Weather Gods! Unfortunately the new stuff didn't bond too well to the snow underneath, so avalanche conditions were pretty dodgy and we had to stick to lower angled terrain and ski thoughtfully to stay safe. That still leaves plenty to go at though!

Since the the new snow came I've been doing quite the tour of Haute Savoie and Northern Italy and have had powder day after powder day without any effort on my part. I haven't put skins on my skis for 2 weeks now and I reckon I can easily extend that for a few more days. 

There's isn't really much you can say about lift served skiing, but hopefully the photos tell the story of the last week.


Just how I like my car to look at the start of a ski day - covered in fresh snow


Heli skiers in Courmayeur. 


Sharon in the Courmayeur powder


Matt at Le Tour, Mont Blanc behind him and the Encrennaz to the right


Matt in the Le Tour trees


All aboard!!!


Tristan and Caroline after a heavy collision!


Hard to imagine as this is for a Chamonix skier, we found fresh tracks all day next to a piste and under a chairlift. You'll have to guess the resort though - my lips are sealed :)


Awesome views in Italy


Be careful out there - this was one of many slides (big and small) that I've seen over the last few days. 


Waiting for the Mont Blanc Tunnel to open on Wednesday night. Grrr.


Ouch!!!


Matt coming close to uttering the impossible words, "I've had enough powder".