Sunday 6 July 2014

More dodgy weather

After 2 really good summers over the past couple of years, 2014 isn't really delivering so far and the unsettled and rainy weather looks set to continue this week.

Options in the mountains have been limited but the ever reliable Aiguilles Rouges is always a good option at times like this. Higher up there is still plenty of snow about and many of the classic rock climbs above the Plan de l'Aiguille remain snowy and damp. Given the weather forecast for the week, I'd be heading up the Brevent or Flegere and climbing some easy classics in the fog if I was in Cham. Luckily for me (given the forecast), I won't be in Cham and will instead be on the tiny island of Gozo, just off Malta. I've bought the guidebook and the climbing looks amazing so I'll be putting some photos on here once I've checked it out. 

In the meantime, here's some shots from yesterday, a few hours of which was spent powering (running would be exaggerating) up to the Nid d'Aigle from Les Houches. It might not be a tough day by Cham standards but it just goes to show that whatever the weather, you can still have some great days in the hills.


Atmospheric views looking up towards the Aiguille de Bionnassay.


Sophie and Sharon high above Les Bettieres.